Monday 11 February 2013

All Hail The Great: Kale

Three ways with Kale.......



So who loves the mighty Kale? This crisp green (and sometimes purple) leafy cabbage has so many wonderful health benefits! In my eyes, this is one big curly superfood;

A nutritional powerhouse that is high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, calcium, beta-carotene, folate, protein, iron, magnesium and potassium! Has zero fat, great for detoxing, amazing cardiovascular support and also helps support eye health!! 


  • Kale contains four times more Mg (magnesium) and five times more Ca (calcium) than Brussels sprouts
  • 17 times more Vitamin C than carrots and four times more than spinach
  • Nearly double the magnesium of spring greens
  • More folate than broccoli
  • Seven times more carotene than cabbage

So lets get into some recipes:

***Kale Chips***
(Inspired by beautiful friend Julie Watson, thank you for showing me the way)


You will need:
- Half a bunch of kale (organic if you can otherwise rinse with lemon essential oil and water to get rid of potential herbicides, pesticides and fungicides)
- Pure organic coconut oil
- Savoury Yeast Flakes (yes, a good for you yeast)
- Dried wakame leaf (optional)
- Himalayan pink rock salt

Cut along the stalks of kale (keep stalks for juice) and pull apart to make mouth watering chunks. Spread out onto oven tray, sprinkle evenly, some coconut oil, savoury yeast flakes, wakame
Throw in the oven for about 5 ish minutes, at 180 degrees..... every oven is different, so just keep an eye on it, you will see the colour change and edges become dark and crisp, have a feel of it if you are not sure.


There is so many ways to make these delicious chips, this is my version, feel free to add anything else or not include something, I hope you enjoy :)




***Kale Pesto***
(Inspired by Brenda Fawdon, owner of Mondo Organics)

This is AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!!

Ingredients:
1/2 bunch curly kale, leaves cut from stem and blanched
1/2 bunch of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
3 large peeled garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 large lime, juice and zest (was supposed to be lemon however I had none)
6 drops of Young Living Lemon essential oil
100 g pine nuts (I used cashew nuts and walnuts as I couldnt find the pines)
100 g of shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of himalayan salt
1/2 tsp pepper






Directions:
Blanch kale leaves in boiling water until just wilted, plunge into ice water to stop the cooking and keep the leaves bright green. Place all ingredients in a food processer (I actually used a hand held lawn mower tupperware chopper, seen in pic below) and process until smooth. Add a little water or extra oil if you need the pesto to be thinner.




Now you can do what you like with this scrumptious blend..... Put it on crackers, dip some carrots or celery in it, make some pasta... but if you are loving a gluten free lifestyle like me I made a yummy quinoa creation with it, some beans and some crazy dried fungi mushrooms that I made plump :)



***Juice and Icy poles***
Any chance I get I add this amazing cabbage to my fresh juices....
Yesterday I made some icy poles for my gorgeous gals..... they enjoyed one for morning tea this morning :)

You can make any juice up, I love to use kale, silverbeet, carrot, celery, apple or pineapple.
make it as fruity or veggie as you like!

You can also make green smoothie icy pops too! Kale, almond or coconut milk, banana, spinach, blueberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cinammon...




Thank you busy beautiful beings;
Lots of love and gratitude to you for reading my blog, enjoy your kale and stax of wholefood goodness............
Let food (and Young Living essential oils) be your medicine, mother natures precious gift.

Joyous Health and Harmony,
Amy
x
Phone 0405 377 298
www.facebook.com/naturallyjoyous



 

2 comments:

  1. These look great Amy. I'm giving Kale a go in the garden this year (going to start my seeds in pots today), so hopefully I can try some of these in a month or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Have fun and let me know how it goes :)

      Delete